Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Day on the Lake with K-Pink

A week or so ago I get a call from my Buddy Kevin Short aka. K-Pink from Arkansas. At the time K-Pink was going through a rough bout of shingles but seemed to be in typical K-Pink mood. He let me know he was going to be spending some time after the Lake Wheeler BASS event at Kentucky Lake and was curious if I was in the mood for a photo shoot. It did not take me long to jump at the chance to:
1. Get my Camera back on the water and finally shoot some more fishing pics.
2. Try out some crazy remote stuff that I had spent way too much time thinking up &
3. Maybe actually get to make a cast for the first time this year.
Well, Check, check and check, I accomplished all three and had a blast doing it. I am still editing but I think Kevin and Kerry will be happy with what I got. Let me know what You think! Be sure and click on the images to make them bigger!
Crazy Remotes.
I knew Kevin and Kerry would be willing to let me try some stuff throughout the day so we jumped right into it right off the bat.
So here is a typical (yeah right) remote on the back of a boat trailer.
Here is the result. Had to add a little but to it in the final editing etc... to get colors right, I think it worked pretty good.
Here we move to the truck to capture another angle. I know stupid.
Not as crazy about this angle. We shot these pretty quick, I will better refine my angle for future shoots.
Still this was pretty cool.
So here is another remote from the water. We mounted the rig to the trolling motor, I wanted to get the trolling motor head into the shot to make it look more realistic.
Here is the initial shot, The fat guy on the right is the reason the boat is leaning that way. Actually,
Kevin just gunned it and turned the wheel but it never helps having the fat guy in the boat in the first place. This was a cool shot and I got excited until.........
The wind from the boat traveling at over 60mph is too much for the clamp and forces the camera almost face down on the front deck. I know. Stupid. But it was fun for the moment.
Now on to the regularly programmed entertainment.
So we got out on the water and I told Kevin to just go fishing and lets see what we can do. If we try and stage stuff it looks staged and therefore is crap. He agreed and off we went. First thing I realized was it was great to be back on the water, next thing is how great it was to be back in a Basscat Boat!! Man I miss my boat!
So we are on the water, 3 minutes tops, go to K-Pinks first stop. BAM! 4 pounder! STRONG!!!!
I snap a few Hero shots and Kevin puts her in the livewell for insurance. Thank goodness he did....
Here are a couple of "Eye of the Tiger" Shots, Kevin was practicing for an upcoming event and I wanted him to act that way. Just because we had some cameras in the boat should not make him feel or act differently and it didn't. I am digging this one.
Here's another. I think I should send these to Costa DelMar!
Next was back to fishing. Here are some creative shots from the back of the boat. Let me know comments.
Same shot but I neglected to realize K-Pink was turning the boat towards the sun. I am still digging it though. I know, Artsy Fartsy......
The "Wes" Shot. Don't ask, every time I got into this position, he called me Wes.
Thanks, Kev.
Another Hero Shot. We had a storm blowing in and the ensuing clouds crapped out my light for the most part. I pumped a bunch in Lightroom but its no better than this.
We did have one small ray of sun blow through and after a brief wardrobe change we got a little action from the fish too.
Another Hero shot.
Next we ran into a friend of mine on the water who helped us out in getting some running shots. It was a little windy that day which made it hard to hold the camera running 70mph but it worked for what we had to deal with.
Lastly, Here is Kevin Short's Rig he is running minus the camper. Kevin and Kerry actually camp at each event carrying a slide-in camper int he bed of the truck. This thing is plush and has all the amenities. K-Pink left and is headed up to Maryland for his next event, If you see him on the highway give them a wave, Heck of some good folks.
Well, that's enough fun for one night. A special thanks to Kevin and Kerry Short for letting come and bug them for a day and shoot pics of them. This was a fun trip and look forward to more. Like I said I am still editing as I shot a ton, These were just a few.
To learn more about Kevin Short, check out http://www.kfshort.com/
Again, thanks for reading. I hope you and your families all had a wonderful Easter, Remember Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins, he was buried in a tomb, in 3 days he rose and is alive today, He is risen indeed!! Thank God for all the blessings in your life, I know I do each and everyday.
Thanks again and God Bless.
Chris
John 4:23

2 comments:

Tracy S said...

These are some awesome shots. Great work as always.
Tracy S

K-Pink said...

WOW! I am so impressed and can't wait to see the rest of the shots. Really like the remote stuff. Need to work on that bracket thing some more.