Friday, March 6, 2009

K-Pink's Chartreuse Softball

Throughout my short photography career, experiment, hobby, whatever you want to call this thing I am doing, I have had the opportunity to shoot some kids, babies, families, neat folks, weird folks and some super cool folks. I reserve Kevin Short as one of the neat, weird, cool ones. Having the opportunity to shoot the Basscat Catalog and some of thier events I have gotten to know Kevin and Kerry Short pretty well. Straight outta Arkansas with his pink shirts, pink crankbait key chains (which I have 2 of) pink boat wraps and custom pink Costa Delmar sunglasses, I noticed something one day while shooting Kevin during an event that struck me as odd, almost out of place.
On both his jersey and the windshield of his Basscat boat Kevin wears a Chartreuse colored softball with the number 13 in it. He does this in honor of his late Daughter Michelle Short who was killed in March of 2004 in an automobile accident at 19 years old. I have never talked to Kevin and Kerry about it, but each time I see them they ask about my family and especially my kids. My Daughter turned one this week, My son is 4.
I never met Michelle, but my heart aches for Kevin and Kerry each time I hear or read a story about them. Good friend and Basscat Boats President Rick Pierce called me today to check on a few things and I gave him an idea to ponder and he did and responded quickly. During this years Basscat Boats Owners event I will shoot and post a gallery of images of anlgers and thier families on my Zenfolio site for purchase and printing. All proceeds that may come from the sale of those images and prints will be directed to the Michelle Short Scholarship fund at the University of Central Arkansas. We will also give a portion of the proceeds to the Cystic Fibrosis foundation for research. We do this to honor Michelle.
Why did I write this blog, one because I have kids and I could never imagine the thought of losing either one of them that early in life. When I came across this picture today in the archives and spoke to Rick I thought about my kids and Michelle and Kevin and Kerry and wanted to share this with you. If you have kids you will understand.
ESPN Outdoor Writer Don Barone wrote a nice article back last year before the Michelle Short Memorial tournament, its a good read, here is the link. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?columnist=barone_don&id=3421274
Thanks for reading, until next time, God Bless and hug your kids tonight, I know I will.
Chris
Matt 25:13

No comments: