Friday, April 3, 2009

Memphis Passion Play

If you remember the Singing Christmas Tree program the church I attend, Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis. For Easter they put together a program called the Memphis Passion Play. This is an awesome program and if your in Memphis or close by you need to check this out, go to Bellevue Baptist Church for times and tickets, it is a great deal. Well, last night they gave me the opportunity to shoot the dress rehearsal. Well Nimrod here jumps at the chance and I bring all my gear. I had spoken to the communication folks about some shots where I could mount a remote camera on the catwalk high above the stage to capture some unique shots, especially when Jesus was placed on the cross. I placed one camera there, my old trusty i have shot with for the past 2 years and I took the new one and the big white whale and walked around and shot elsewhere. The remote deal was a first and this thing scared the crap out of me as I had it mounted about 3-1/2 stories above the stage. It was fired off with a wireless remote control called a Pocketwizard. Got the camera mounted and cabled up and walked away, kind of. The catwalk is not a very, lets say "heigth friendly" place. In other words watch your head and bring a flashlight, its a little dark. Here are the pics and commentary.
This is the camera mounted on the Magic arm and cabled to the catwalk with steel cables. This is my Canon 30D with a 28-135mm Canon lens attached. Again, this is my first remote like this so I was scared to death. Oh, did I mention I am scared of heights? not a good time to figure that one out.
Shot with my IPHONE - Stunning shot.....
Here is the camera with the stage behind or below it. Again shot with the Ole' IPHONE and lit with a beautiful green EverReady flashlight. Notice the pocketwizard remote on the top of the camera, that's the business end of this deal.
Hey look its Nimrod! Here is a shot of me testing out the remote. This was about an hour before rehearsal so it was quiet enough I could hear the camera shutter go off. I tried to shoot from this point looking up but could not see the camera due to it being black and the lack of light on the catwalk.
Shot with the remote mounted 30D
So obviously alot took place before this scene as Jesus is crucified on the cross. This is the shot from the balcony actually about 150 yards away with the Canon 50D and the white whale.
Here's the shot with the remote camera. Pretty stinkin' cool huh.
The remote was set at a port on the catwalk almost directly above the stage. Looking back Nimrod here forgot to shot a wide shot from behind to show you the layout.
About 40 yards back from the remote was another port or drop in the catwalk to a lower level where all the main lighting was set-up. I chose not to set the remote here because this location I could access during the performance, the remote spot I could not. Here is the shot from the 2nd port with me sitting between several very warm lights.
Canon 50D with 100-400mm L - "The White Whale"
Same Camera location, The Remote shot on this was not good, here is my shot with the Whale.
This is the part where the guard tells his guy "Make sure he's dead" in the manly guard voice so the guard spears his side, Hard to see here but on the high res version you can see the blood splatter. It's not real blood!
Canon 50D with 100-400mm L "The White Whale"
This was also shot from the 2nd location handheld. The remote was focused on the back 1/3rd of the stage and for only the cross shots basically. This shot is of the "demon girl" that Jesus removes the demon from, she then sang a beautiful solo. I followed her around the stage and then she looked up, I think I scared her at first as she was not expecting to see someone up there but I thought this shot was cool. Oh, nice pedicure job by the way, had no idea they painted toe nails back in those times......
He Arose! Hallelujah Christ Arose!
What an awesome moment in a Christians Life, to know that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, was buried and 3 days later rose from the grave. He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Shot from the 2nd location handheld with the Canon 50D and 100-400mm L "the White Whale"
This was one of those shots you just had to shoot. Moses checking his email. Too funny. Notice the IPHONE in his hand, he might have been using an app to find dinner for later, who knows.
I hope you enjoyed these pics, like I said, if your in Memphis and you can check out the performance, go to Bellevue Baptist Church and check out times and ticket prices, they are cheap for a great heart changing experience. If your nowhere close to Memphis check out the site and purchase a DVD, These are great!
Thanks for Reading and God Bless.
Chris
John 6:35
If your not a subscriber, Sign up!!!!!!!!!! at the top of the page please, to the right!
Thanks,
Chris

No comments: